Sock a Month Knitalong 3

Monday, March 12, 2007

March 101

My March socks for Sock-a-month3 are done! With a few weeks to spare. Admittedly, they're kind of cheaters, a fulled footie pattern written by Larissa for her upcoming book instead of my regular fingering weight calf-length socks. I knit them in order to test-knit them (a test-along, if you will), but I stalled halfway through, and decided to rip the first out and reknit them as mediums instead of smalls. They're for my granny for Christmas, a little late. Also, my granny turned 94 last week (holy crap!).


Pre-fulling


After fulling, on location in Laurelhurst park, while walking The Trickster

The Specs:
The Pattern: Socks 101, by Larissa. Attempted as a test-knit for her new book, but due to re-sizing I did not finish in time. However, when I started the better size, I knit them in a day. It's a lovely pattern, and a great way to use one skein of a luscious yarn. They're super super cozy, and I'm planning on using this extensively as a gift knit in the future. I think they're more comfy than Fuzzy Feet, and from the sounds of things, much more straightforward. I can't wait to buy Larissa's book; I think it's going to be a keeper.

The Yarn: Less than one skein of Manos del Uruguay in color 118, Mulled Wine. The pattern calls for two skeins, but it looks like most people have made it with one. I had a fair bit to spare. I bought it at the Yarn Garden. Perhaps you've seen their ad in Interweave. Brief Yarn Garden review: I know a lot of people view Yarn Garden as the end-all-be-all of Portland yarn shops. They certainly have the most yarn. If I can't find it at other shops, I'll find it at the YG. And their cafe is very charming. However, I've found their staff to be a little arrogant. They're very pushy about their classes, and they've treated me as if I have no knitting knowledge, which is irritating. Maybe they are just accustomed to new knitters, but a lot of people do know how to knit already, and know what they're looking for. And, why don't they carry Blue Moon Fiber Arts, especially since it's an Oregon yarn? The staff I talked to didn't even know what it was, even when I mentioned Socks that Rock. Do you live under a rock? In my several visits there, I have had one delightful staff member: the guy working the espresso machine who wound my yarn.
Anyway, I'd never knit with Manos before, and it was luscious. However, (warning: heresy ahead) I prefer Malabrigo. It's much softer. I'll be happy to knit these socks with Manos, or Malabrigo, or Rio de la Plata (from Abundant Yarns), or whatever.

The Needles: Chiao Goo Bamboo DPNs, size 10. Purchased from Yarn Garden. They're fine. I'm not too picky about DPNs.

Thoughts: Great pattern. The only mod I made was too make them a little bit and full them a little more. I haven't sent them to my granny yet, so we'll see what she thinks.

I'm already working on my next pair of socks, another pair of Jaywalkers. I anticipate them taking until April, so they'll be my April socks barring catastrophe.

I've been enjoying all the great socks! Alison's post today may interest some of you. She linked a bunch of great free sock patterns in pdf.

Cross-posted with all loud-mouthedness intact, at my blog: www.rubybanshee.com
Mandy
ruby_banshee@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger lexa said...

Very nice! Thanks for the link to the free sock patterns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

bb