Sock a Month Knitalong 3

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

May Update

Sigh – I missed the deadline for finishing my socks for April. And now it looks like I might miss the May deadline as well. It's a little bit disappointing. I knit socks all the time, so I thought this challenge of a pair a month would be a piece of cake. In the middle of winter, when “curl up and knit” time abounds, this makes sense. But April was such a hectic month, and so many other projects took center stage, that I only managed to finish the first sock of the pair.

I was going to abandon the Sock-A-Month challenge altogether, but I’ve decided to stick with it, because I know that my sock knitting time will return in June, when I start going to the local baseball games.

The other thing that slowed me down in April was the sock project itself. I’m making the Jaywalker socks, and after the first thrill of seeing the zig-zag appear, the knitting is kind of dull, just like plain old socks. And I’m not all that enamored with the yarn I’m using. It’s Reynolds Swizzle, which is a fun name, but the yarn feels rough between my fingers. I bought two balls of this yarn several years ago, when it came out. I knit up the first ball into a plain pair of socks. The yarn does soften up after washing. It actually becomes too limp for my taste. But I wanted to knit another pair, and see if they behave any differently.

Still, I’m looking forward to finishing the Jaywalkers, and wearing them. And moving on to the next pair of socks. The next pair is always the most exciting, isn’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

bb