Sock a Month Knitalong 3

Friday, February 16, 2007

February Socks - TOFUtsies

Here are my first socks for SAL3. The facts:

Yarn: TOFUtsie's (50% superwash wool, 25% Soysilk® Fibers, 22.5% Cotton, and 2.5% Chitin)
Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo 2s, Inox metal 3's, Clover bamboo 1's
Pattern: Basic Stockinette - 56 stitch, 56 row socks

When I first bought this yarn I was VERY disappointed. There were 3 breaks (knots) in one skein. It was difficult to get started. The yarn was slippery and wanted to slip off the metal Inox needles that I use for casting on.

Once I got going, I really liked this yarn. It has quite a bit of stretch so my heel gussets are the nicest I've EVER done.

Now, on my feet ... eh! They're okay, but not going to be a favorite. In the hand these socks feel very soft. On my feet...not so much.

I have another skein of this yarn so I will be using it again. (It's a free skein sent to me by the manufacturer to make up for all the breaks in the skein I purchased. Unfortunately, that skein also had flaws. Apparently they have a quality control issue with this product.) But, the yarn is NOT so bad that I would just trash it. There will be a second pair eventually.

Dee

http://thedailystitch.blogspot.com

5 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I think your socks look great! I haven't tried that yarn myself, so I don't know what it is like to work with. Sorry to hear about the breaks in it...that's always disappointing - especially if it's for socks. Hope you have better luck with your other skein.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Jofrog said...

I've been so wanting to try this yarn! You are the first person I've seen write about them, and I think I'll hold off for a while. Thanks for the review, I hope that your feet grow to like the socks.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger lexa said...

I really like the color of this yarn. Dontcha hate it when you get yarn with a bunch of knots in it? I had that happen not long ago with Patons SWS. One skein had three of four knots, the other none. I made felted footies, and there was no one I could make the stripes match because the knots threw the skein totally off from the first one.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Mia said...

I have two skeins that I just bought yesterday. I was wondering how it knit up. I will definitely wound mine into a center pull ball.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Dharmafey said...

I have that same colorway! I haven't knit with any of my 3 balls (I got them when they were mispriced at Webs). They look lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

bb