Sock a Month Knitalong 3

Friday, February 09, 2007

February Socks!

These were started on a whim because I wanted to learn a reverse heel-flap. I'd been making strictly top-down socks, but I made a pair (January SaM2 socks) for my husband toe-up to learn the technique. I learned the Turkish cast on (which I LOVE,) and a short row heel (which I HATED.) So... I liked much about the idea of toe-up, but needed to find a heel that pleased me better.

So I asked on the Knitter's Review Forums about heel alternatives and it was suggested I check out the reverse heel-flap on the Diamate pattern at Knitty. So I did!

Project specs: Diamante pattern from Knitty

Modifications: I didn't do the pattern on the Diamante sock. I am a knit-from-the-stash girl this year and I didn't want to experiment with my favorite sock yarns. I had a ball of self-striping in my stash from a yarn swap a couple of years ago and I grabbed it. So, since it was self-striping yarn I chose to make a simple stockinette sock. I also wanted to just focus on the heel without worrying about the pattern. And I was surprised by this yarn 'cause it was UGLY in the skein. I was really pleased with how elegantly the stripes came right back into place after the heel with no splicing to make the front stripes remain consistent. Serendipity! Also, I used the Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn bind-off (which I learned for these socks because the Russian bind-off I tried wasn't stretchy enough,) and my beloved Turkish cast-on rather than the fiddly figure 8 cast on.

Needles: Size 1, 2 circulars. First sock: one Inox and one vintage Bernat. The second sock: Knit Picks classic circulars! Second sock finished in a smidge over a day. Thanks to no picking stitches over the join! Wahoooooooooo I am such a convert!

Yarn: I have no idea. Some German sock yarn, I believe. Maybe I'll find the ball band someday - I'm pretty sure I kept it.



Sock on, fellow Sockers!! Next socks... something fancy!

Margo

Beanmama

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger lexa said...

I really like those colors. Very nice!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Lana Grossa Magico Socks. Very nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

bb